We are going to let you into a trade secret. The recipe for Calabash Cove’s signature
Surf n Turf which features fresh lobster. Please share this secret…
Calabash Surf and Turf
Ingredients For the lobster Pie (patty)
- 8 quarts water
- 4 (1 1/4-lb) live lobsters
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb (sometimes labeled “anise”) with fronds, stalks, and bulb chopped and fronds reserved for fresh tarragon oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (6-inch) plus 8 (1-inch) sprigs fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, slightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (from two 1/4-oz envelopes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon white-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh tarragon oil
- Allow to set in the fridge and cut to shape
- Cook lobsters and make stock:
- Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in pot, then plunge 2 lobsters headfirst into water and cook, covered, 8 minutes from time they enter water. Transfer with tongs to a shallow baking pan to cool. Return water to a boil and cook remaining 2 lobsters in same manner.
- When lobsters are cool enough to handle, remove meat from tail and claws and set aside. Cut tail shells and lobster bodies (not including claws) into 1-inch pieces with kitchen shears, then rinse well, discarding gills, eye sacs, tomalley, any roe, and claw shells. Transfer to a 6- to 8-quart heavy pot, then add wine, carrots, celery, fennel, onion, garlic, large tarragon sprigs, salt, fennel seeds, red-pepper flakes, and remaining 2 quarts water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 6 cups, about 1 1/2 hours.
- While stock reduces, scrape any coagulated white albumin from lobster meat with a knife and cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces, then chill, covered.
- Make lobster pies / patties:
- Pour stock through a dampened cheesecloth-lined large sieve into a large bowl, pressing on and then discarding solids. Transfer 2 3/4 cups stock to a bowl. (Cool remaining stock completely, uncovered, then freeze in an airtight container for another use.) Sprinkle gelatin evenly over 1/4 cup stock in a 1-quart saucepan, then let stand 1 minute to soften. Heat over moderately low heat, stirring, just until gelatin is dissolved, then stir in vinegar and remaining 2 1/2 cups stock.
- Put molds in a baking pan. Add 2 teaspoons gelatin mixture to each mold and freeze until set, about 10 minutes. Put 1 small sprig of tarragon and a tip of claw meat in bottom of each mold, then divide lobster meat among molds. Fill with remaining gelatin mixture and chill, covered with plastic wrap, until set, at least 2 hours.
- To unmold, dip 1 mold in a pan of hot water 3 to 5 seconds to loosen. Run a thin knife around edge of mold and invert gelée out onto a plate. Repeat with remaining molds. Drizzle plates with fresh tarragon.