Not ashamed to say I love Christmas and look forward to it all year. Even here in the tropics without the Christmas card snow falling and log fires, there are still those elements that make you feel…well Christmassy. This Christmas Cake recipe is just one of those elements.
We have blogged this before but it is too good and too delicious not to roll out again.
1lb / 2cups dried currants
1lb / 3cups dried raisins
8oz / 1cup dried prunes
2/3 cup mixed peel
1lb/3cup candied watermelon skin
14 oz / 2 ¼ cups dark soft brown sugar
5ml / 1tsp mixed spice
½ pint / 1 ¼ cups sherry wine
90ml / 6tbsp dark rum
15ml Dark molasses
2 cups softened butter
10 eggs beaten
1 lb / 4 cups flour
2ts baking powder
10ml Grenadine syrop
5 ml /1 tsp vanilla essence
- Wash the currants, raisins, prunes and mixed peel, then pat dry.
- Place in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large, clean jar or bowl, add 115g/4 oz of the sugar, the mixed spice, rum and sherry.
- Mix very well and then cover with a lid and set aside for anything from 2 weeks to 3 months – the longer it is left the better the flavor will be.
- Stir the fruit mixture occasionally and keep covered, adding more alcohol if you like.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/Gas mark.