One of our very favorite dishes.
Red Beetroot Gnocchi
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 cup boiled red beets 230 gr.
- 1 cup boiled potatoes 230 gr.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour 300gr. + one handful for dusting
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, (for serving if needed )
- Boil the potatoes (20min from boiling) and the beets (60min from boiling). Drain and remove the beets’ skin under running water.
- In a big bowl add the flour and mash the beets with a potato masher. Mash and add the potatoes and add the egg and a pinch of salt.
- Mix together with a fork first and with your hands later to create an airy and light dough. On a flat surface dusted with flour, roll a long cylinder of dough and cut it in 1 inch long pieces. Place the gnocchi on some parchment paper, one next to the other.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to boil. Add salt and one tablespoon of oil in order not to let the gnocchi stick together and drop 10/12 gnocchi into the water. Don’t overcrowd (I did 10 at the time).After 3/4 minutes the gnocchi, once cooked, will come to the surface.
- Remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl.
- In hot pan, add olive oil and lightly sauté gnocchi for 2-3 minutes, then add to the lobster pesto cream direction listed below.
Yield 4 Servings
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
pepper, to taste and set aside.
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until coarsely chopped, with the machine running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth, add the cheese and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper