One of our very favorite dishes.
Red Beetroot Gnocchi
Yield 4 Servings
- 1 cup boiled red beets 230 gr.
- 1 cup boiled potatoes 230 gr.
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour 300gr. + one handful for dusting
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, (for serving if needed )
- Boil the potatoes (20min from boiling) and the beets (60min from boiling). Drain and remove the beets’ skin under running water.
- In a big bowl add the flour and mash the beets with a potato masher. Mash and add the potatoes and add the egg and a pinch of salt.
- Mix together with a fork first and with your hands later to create an airy and light dough. On a flat surface dusted with flour, roll a long cylinder of dough and cut it in 1 inch long pieces. Place the gnocchi on some parchment paper, one next to the other.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring it to boil. Add salt and one tablespoon of oil in order not to let the gnocchi stick together and drop 10/12 gnocchi into the water. Don’t overcrowd (I did 10 at the time).After 3/4 minutes the gnocchi, once cooked, will come to the surface.
- Remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl.
- In hot pan, add olive oil and lightly sauté gnocchi for 2-3 minutes, then add to the lobster pesto cream direction listed below.
Yield 4 Servings
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
pepper, to taste and set aside.
- Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until coarsely chopped, with the machine running, slowly add the olive oil and process until smooth, add the cheese and pulse until combined. Season with salt and pepper
What day is today? Start of lobster season day -that’s what
As it is the first day of lobster season, the first order of live lobsters arrives this afternoon. It has everybody excited and immediately it is back on the menu at Calabash Cove. Chef is over the moon.
After several month of protection, to allow the lobster population to increase and lay their eggs undisturbed, we can fish for them again. The style we will start with is grilled lobster on rum butter sauce served with basmati rice and mixed organic salad. After all, a fresh lobster that has never seen a freezer is a delicacy to behold. First gently boil them and then place on the grill for a few short minutes. Enjoy with a glass of refreshing Prosecco.
Lobster Season smells good
You do not even have to tell connoisseurs in the house, that lobster is available. Because that familiar scent with the almost intoxicating aroma drifting from the open air kitchen at Windsong restaurant, one knows lobster is, on the grill.
Furthermore, Calabash Cove Resort is perhaps unique in that we include lobster in our daily all inclusive offerings. In fact, every day for lunch and dinner. And it is not just grilled lobster. The choice changes every day. Most noteworthy, there will be fettucine with creamy lobster sauce, lobster tortillas, lobster thermidor, caesar’s salad with lobster chunks, lobster newburg, lobster ravioli, lobster bisque all depending on the day of the week and the creativity of the chef.
LOBSTER SEASON FACTS
In Saint Lucia, we are talking about Caribbean spiny lobsters, also known as langustas, langouste, or rock lobsters. They are from the family (Palinuridae) of about 60 species of achelate – See these references.
Spiny lobsters are also, especially in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and the Bahamas, sometimes called crayfish, sea crayfish, or crawfish (“kreef” in South Africa), terms which elsewhere are reserved for freshwater crayfish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crayfish>.
The Caribbean spiny lobster is one of the largest crustaceans you can find on coral reefs and seagrass beds in the Caribbean Sea and adjacent waters. It is one of the most valuable fishery resources for every country throughout its range. Along with true crabs, prawns, and other lobsters, the Caribbean spiny lobster is a decapod; since it has ten legs. In addition a spiny exoskeleton covers it’s body that provides it some protection from potential predators, but it remains the favorite prey of many species, including nurse sharks and Nassau groupers.
Therefore, when you go island exploring look out for lobster in small local restaurants and even sometimes roadside grills. And if you don’t want to do that, you can always enjoy some back at Calabash Cove. Without surcharge and with a glass of Prosecco if you have booked the unconditional all inclusive package!
Just for a change, instead of a food recipe, today we go for one of our signature cocktails, the Calabash Cove Ocean Pine Cocktail.
• 1 oz. Apricot brandy
• 1 half large ripe mango or 2 oz. Mango Concentrate
• 1 oz. White Rum
• 1 oz. Coconut Cream
• 2 oz. Pineapple Juice
• ½ oz. Grenadine syrup
• Pineapple wedge
1. Pour in blender mango or 2 oz. mango concentrate, 1 oz. apricot brandy, 1 oz. strong rum, 1 oz. coconut cream, 2 oz. pineapple juice and 2 scoops ice. Blend combination for 20 seconds.
2. In addition, pour in tall cocktail glass ½ oz. grenadine syrup. Then pour in blended mixture over grenadine syrup in tall cocktail glass.
3. Finally, to garnish place a pineapple wedge and straw.
You know that moment when you eat a steak and it literally melts in the mouth. Could be in one of those amazing Steak Houses in New York, when you think, how do they do that? Of course buying the very best produce from the markets goes a long way, but we believe the real trick is in the marinade.
- 4 pc 8 oz. Steak
- 8 oz. of Carrots
- 8 oz. Tempura batter
- 4 oz. green beans
- 8 oz. baby potatoes
- 8 oz. Sliced onion
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lots of fresh crushed black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
First thing is to get your steak marinating 4 hours before use cover and place in refrigerator. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish and stir to create a mixture. Add the steaks and coat both side evenly, then cover and retune to refrigerator until ready for use.
To make the sauce, set a small sauce pan over a medium heat on the stove top. Add the olive oil and crushed black peppercorns. Stir for about a minute then add the red wine. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low and let the wine reduce by about half. Next, add the beef broth and bring back to a boil. Again, reduce heat and leave it to simmer for about 20 minutes or until it has reduced again by about a half. Now you can add the cooking cream and green peppercorns and bring back to a boil for a quick second before reducing the heat. In a glass, add the cornstarch and water. Stir until there are no lumps. Add this to the sauce a tablespoon at a time until the sauce has reached a medium creamy texture.
Give the grill a little oil to grease the steak. Place the steak on the grill cook to medium-rare or cook them how you like them best. The steak is 8 oz. therefore, grilled for about 4 minutes per side.
Fry the onion rings lightly, salt before serving, steam the vegetables and sauté the potatoes in butter and olive oil.
Green Peppercorn Sauce
1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2/3 cups cooking cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons slightly crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon green peppercorns
Great dish for lunchtime by the pool or back home could be a cool TV dinner?
Ingredients for 4 guests
- 2 duck breasts (seasoned and marinated over night )
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 250g of sweet peppers
- 1 carrot
- 2 small red chilies
- 2 tsp root ginger
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 50 gr cooked black beans
- 1 tables spoon of honey
- 1 garlic clove
- 75g of snow peas
- 175g of bean sprouts
- 25g of sesame seeds
- 1 lemon
- 4 spring roll sheets
- 1 egg
Heat the sesame oil in the wok and add the peppers, carrot, chili, grated ginger, black beans, bean sprouts and soy sauce. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
Next, add the garlic, snow peas, bean sprouts, sesame seeds, citrus zest and juice and heat until the duck is cooked through. Combine well and transfer into a bowl, wipe the wok clean. And let cool off.
Thinly slice the baked duck breast. Lightly brush the spring roll wrappers with the beaten egg.
Spoon the stir-fried mixture into the centre of each one and roll up, place a few slices of roasted duck, tucking in the ends before you make the final layer.
Deep-fry the spring rolls until golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll.
Serve with soy sauce or hoisin sauce